Wisdom teeth cause confusion for many people. They show up seemingly out of nowhere and often wreak havoc on our mouths. Oakwood Dental in Staten Island is sharing some fun facts about wisdom teeth that might shed light on the mystery:
- Wisdom teeth are actually third molars.
- The nickname “wisdom teeth” stems from when these molars generally emerge— between the ages of 17 and 25 when one matures and the brain is finished developing.
- Most people do not have enough room in the mouth for wisdom teeth to fully emerge and teeth become impacted, thus the reason for extraction.
- Partially emerged wisdom teeth are difficult to clean and can lead to infection, potentially causing damage to the jaw bone, nerves or other teeth.
- Approximately 85% of wisdom teeth need to be removed sooner or later according to the American Association of Oral and Maxillofacial Surgeons. If you get it taken care of at an early age, you can likely avoid complications.
There is, however, a chance that you don’t have all four wisdom teeth, and it’s even possible to have none at all! 35% of people never develop these third molars. When you visit the Staten Island dentist office of Oakwood Dental for a regular checkup and cleaning, you will have x-rays taken that can reveal valuable information, including the status of your wisdom teeth development. Your dentist will analyze the x-rays to determine if the teeth are present, and if they are indeed growing, whether they are impacted or forming in a way that they will cause damage to your other teeth. If it is concluded that the teeth will cause problems, extracting them at an earlier age can prevent damage or infection from occurring.
The caring and experienced dentists at Oakwood Dental handle wisdom teeth regularly, so if yours need to be removed, there’s nothing to fear! Wisdom teeth removal is a common procedure that is necessary for many people. If you experience any pain that you suspect is due to your wisdom teeth, schedule an appointment at one of Oakwood’s Staten Island dentist offices and you will be taken care of immediately.